Advice on carbon monoxide detectors
1. What is carbon monoxide poisoning?
Carbon monoxide is released during an incomplete combustion of organic fuels where there is a shortage of oxygen. The moment you inhale the gas unconsciously, it comes into your blood. You get headaches because of this, you become nauseous, you have to vomit or you feel very tired. You also feel confused, sleepy and you get an accelerated heartbeat.
The exposure to the gas only has to be short-lived to have major consequences. In this way you lose consciousness within a few minutes. After which brain damage occurs and eventually even leads to death.
2. Installation of carbon monoxide detector
Always place a carbon monoxide detector near the combustion appliance. Think of a fireplace, central heating boiler, geyser and stove. In the manual of the CO alarm you can read where you need to hang up the alarm. Generally, we adhere to the following guideline:
Place the carbon monoxide alarm at eye level (1.60 m) and no further than 1.50 m from the heat source.
3. Tips to preventing carbon monoxide poisoning
Ventilate your home sufficiently. With good ventilation, CO is much less likely to linger. After all, carbon monoxide means that there is too little oxygen in space.
Regularly check that the carbon monoxide detector is working. Via the test button on the detector, you test whether the detector is still working. The batteries are of course also important at check. Always ensure that the detector is equipped with full batteries.
Make sure that your heat sources are regularly checked by a professional.
Provide all your heat sources where CO can be released from a CO alarm. It is therefore possible that you have several carbon monoxide detectors in the house.