How do I wash my hiking backpack?
Can your bag be washed in the washing machine?
You can clean a backpack by hand. Washing a backpack in the washing machine is not recommended, because you run the risk that your backpack will break.
Whether a backpack can be washed depends on a number of factors:
- What does the washing label say? Take this advice.
- Is your bag made of leather? Don't wash it in the washing machine.
- Does your backpack have a padded laptop or tablet compartment? Wash it by hand.
- Does your backpack have a metal frame or other metal elements? Remove them first. If this isn't possible, your backpack can't be washed.
Is your backpack not allowed in the washing machine? There is only one thing left to do: washing by hand.
How did you wash your hiking backpack or backpack by hand?
- Make sure there is nothing in your hiking backpack or backpack.
- Use an old toothbrush to remove the surface dirt.
- Check your bag for loose threads and cut them off. The threads can get between the zipper of your backpack.
- Shake your hiking backpack or backpack well.
- Wash it. Use soap and wipe your bag with a sponge or with your hands. For stubborn stains, use the toothbrush again.
- After cleaning, rinse your hiking backpack or backpack with clean water.
- After cleaning, it is a matter of letting the bag dry. It is best to let it dry indoors and upside down.
How did you wash your backpack in the washing machine?
- Empty your backpack.
- Unzip all compartments in your bag.
- If your bag is very dirty, remove the dirt by brushing it away with a damp cloth.
- Are there stubborn stains in your bag? Coat these stains with soap before putting the bag in the washing machine. This increases the chance that the spots will actually disappear.
- Put your bag in a pillowcase. By putting your bag in a pillowcase, you protect the zippers and pullers. Wash the backpack on a washing program of 20 or 30 degrees, unless the washing label requires otherwise.
- Before using the bag again, it must be thoroughly dry. If the bag is still damp while you are already using it, mold may form.
How do I protect my backpack?
Do you want a less dirty backpack in the future? Use the rain cover as a protective cover or purchase a flight bag. The flight bag protects the bag during transport and it protects your belongings in your backpack against theft.