How do I clone my current hard drive?
Before you start
What are you going to do? Cloning your hard drive to your new HDD
** For which new discs is this procedure suitable? ** All 2.5 inch HDDs and all SATA hard drives
What do you need?
- A laptop or PC
- (Optional) The supplied cloning software
- A SATA / usb adapter
- A 2.5 inch HDD
How long does it take?
- Start the cloning process: About 10 minutes
- The cloning process: Depending on the amount of data you want to transfer, 6 to 8 hours.
Step 1: Clone your disk
Before you start the cloning process, it is important that you first connect the HDD to your computer or laptop. You do this via the SATA / usb adapter. This adapter is equipped with 2 USB cables. One of these is for feeding the disk. The other is for the transfer of data. You plug both cables into the USB ports of your computer. The other end is clicked on the disk.
Cloning with Macrium Reflect
Macrium Reflect is a free alternative tool that can be used for all HDDs.
- Download Macrium Reflect Free and install the software.
- Start the software as soon as you have installed it.
- In the main screen of the software you will see the disks connected to your computer in the right-hand screen. Select your drive by ticking the box under the icon of the drive. Then choose the 'Clone this disk' option at the bottom.
- A new screen appears. Select the 'Select a disk to clone to' option here and choose your new HDD.
- You see that the disks are divided into smaller pieces. These are partitions. Remove any current partitions on the new HDD by selecting them and on 'Delete existing partition'. Then select the partitions on the source disk and press the option 'Copy selected partitions'. Is your new drive bigger than the old one? Then you can make a partition larger by selecting it and pressing 'Cloned Paritition Properties' and adjusting it here. Then press 'Ok' and then 'Next'.
- Press 'Next' again. You now get an overview of the settings. Take it through and press 'Finish'. Choose a name for the backup and press 'Ok', followed by 'Continue'. The cloning process starts. When this process is finished you can use the disk.
Cloning with Carbon Copy Cloner
Carbon Copy Cloner is a good alternative for macOS. Carbon Copy Cloner is free for 30 days, which should be more than enough to transfer your current hard drive.
- Download Carbon Copy Cloner and install the software.
- Start Carbon Copy Cloner.
- In the left screen, choose the hard disk you want to migrate (the source disk). In general, this is the drive that your macOS installation is on. If you stick with the mouse on the disc, see information about the disc, including the macOS installation. If you are not sure which disk your installation contains, you can find out which disk is the correct one.
- Right you choose the drive you want to migrate to (the target disk).
- Click on 'Clone'. A pop-up will appear with the message that the data on the target disk (the new HDD) will be deleted after the cloning process has started. Select 'Continue'. The cloning process begins.
Cloning with Samsung Data Migration
Do you have a Samsung HDD? Then the Samsung Data Migration software is included on a CD.
- Insert the disk into your computer and start the installation of Samsung Data Migration. Do you not have an optical drive? Then download the latest version of the software on the Samsung website.
- Start the Samsung Data Migration tool.
- Press 'Next'. In the next screen at the top under 'Source Disk', select the disk you want to migrate, the source disk. Under 'Target Disk' you select the disk you want to migrate to, the target disk (the new HDD). ** Note **: is the available space on the target disk smaller than the space used on the old hard disk? You can then select certain folders that you want to transfer to another storage medium. Think of a usb stick where you can put all your photos on.
- Press 'Start'. The migration process begins.
- As soon as the data has been cloned from the disk, a new screen appears with a green check mark at the bottom, followed by a message that the procedure is successful. The new HDD is now ready for use.
Cloning with Acronis True Image
With some models of WD or Crucial HDDs, a license of Acronis True Image is included.
- Install Acronis from the supplied disk, or download the software from the Acronis website and install it.
- Start Acronis True Image.
- Choose 'Tools' on the left side of the menu. Then press 'Clone Disk'. A new screen opens.
- Select 'Automatic' as 'Clone Mode' and press 'Next'.
- Select the disk you want to migrate and press 'Next'.
- Now choose the drive you want to clone to. This is your new HDD. Press 'Next' again.
- You will now see an overview of the chosen settings. If everything is correct, press 'Proceed'. The cloning process starts now.
- After the cloning process, the disk is ready for use.
Step 2: take the drive into use
Now that you have transferred the data from your old hard disk, you can use the new HDD. How to do this you will read from step 2 in the next article.