A training schedule for ellipticals
1. Interval training on the elliptical
With an interval workout on the elliptical, working on improving your endurance is easy. During this training, you switch between high intensity and low intensity. You raise your heart rate very quickly for a short time, interspersed with breaks. In general, the total duration of an interval workout is very short, up to a maximum of 20 minutes.
Interval training for beginners:
- Time for a warm up! Start with 10 minutes of elliptical training at a slow pace.
- Set the elliptical's resistance level low. Give all you've got on the elliptical for 1 minute.
- After this minute, during which you went all the way, adjust your speed back to a calm pace. Do this for half a minute.
- Repeat the above 5 times.
- Cool down! Keep training at a very low pace for 10 minutes.
- After cooling down, we recommend doing some stretching exercises.
Making interval training more intense:
Is your workout getting very easy after a while? You'll easily make your workout heavier by applying one of the following steps:
- Increase your high-intensity moment from 1 minute to 2 minutes.
- Keep increasing the total number of rounds. Stick to a maximum of 10 rounds. Keep increasing your resistance level.
- Does the elliptical have an ergometer function? In that case, train using wattage. You shouldn't get below a specific wattage.
- Train with a calorie goal. In this case, you'll replace each 1-minute round by meeting your calorie goal as fast as possible.
2. Endurance training on the elliptical
With an endurance workout on the elliptical, you'll work on burning body fat, improving your stamina, or strengthening your heart muscle for a better circulation. The endurance workout will last for at least 30 minutes. During this workout, you'll train continuously at a steady pace.
Endurance training for beginners:
- Make sure to warm up well. Train at a slow pace for 10 minutes.
- Once you're nice and warm, increase the pace just a little.
- Keep this pace for 30 minutes.
- Cool down! Keep training at a low pace for 10 minutes.
- If needed, do some more exercises with the foam roller to prevent muscle soreness.
Making endurance training more intense:
Is your workout getting very easy after a while? You'll easily make it heavier by applying one of the following steps:
- Increase the duration of your workout with 5 minutes.
- Train with resistance. Increase the resistance level with each workout.
- Train in heart rate zones. Stay in 1 heart rate zone throughout your endurance workout.