How do I record images from my Foscam IP camera?
|Space available||Up to 32GB||Own choice||N/A||Own choice|
|Record when motion detected||Yes||Yes||No||Yes|
|Notify when motion detected||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Accessible from anywhere||Yes||No||Yes||Yes|
Option 1: web interface
Are you using the Foscam web interface and do you want to be able to view the images from your computer? Use the steps below to set up recording to your SD card. Using the Foscam application for your phone or tablet? In that case, you can skip these steps.
Start your internet browser and open your camera's web interface. Tip: If you can't find your camera's web interface anymore, follow step 3 from the setup procedure above.
At the top of the screen you'll see a number of tabs, select 'Settings' here.
On the next screen, you'll see a menu on the left, click 'Recording' here. A number of options will appear immediately below. Here, select 'Recording location'.
On the right, another screen will appear with a pair of options. Select the drop-down menu next to the option 'Recording path', its value is now 'None'. Change it to 'SD card'.
In the top right corner, press 'Save'.
Next, in the menu on the left, select 'Video'. A number of options will appear below your choice. Click 'Snapshot Settings'.
On the right, you'll see a new screen with a number of options. Select the drop-down menu next to the 'Save to' option and select 'SD card' here as well.
In the top right corner, select 'Save'. You've now set up recording to your SD card.
Now that the SD card has been set as the storage medium, it's time to make sure recordings are actually made. You do this based on a timetable or motion sensor. An SD card doesn't offer a lot of storage spaced compared to a computer or NAS. I recommend only letting your camera record when motion is detected. This way, the card won't get full as quickly.
Setting up the motion sensor via the web interface
In order to view recorded images, complete the following steps:
- Open the web interface
- At the top of the screen, you'll see a number of tabs. Select 'Playback'.
- A new screen will open on the right. Select the right recording and play it. You'll recognize your recording from the clip's time and date.
Option 2: application interface
How do I set up my Foscam IP camera via a smartphone?
Using a smartphone to set up your camera? The SD card is set as the storage medium by default. Recording takes place based on motion detection. All you need to do to enable recording is set up the motion sensor.
Setting up the motion sensor via your smartphone
In order to watch recordings, go through the following steps:
- Open the Foscam app.
- In the top left corner, you'll see an icon shaped like 3 stripes. This is the hamburger menu. Tap it.
- A menu will appear. In it, select 'Album'.
- Select your recording. It will play automatically. You'll recognize the recording by its time and date.
Recording to your computer
Prefer watching your camera's recordings on your computer using the applications your used to, such as Windows Media Player, QuickTime (for macOS), or VLC Media Player? In that case, set your computer as the storage location. Setting this way of recording is a one-time action you carry out using the camera's web interface.
Note: when recording to your computer, you can't record continuously. You can only record when motion is detected. You can only view the recordings on this computer, that is, viewing the images on another computer isn't possible.
- Open the camera's web interface. You do this using an internet browser on your computer. Tip: Don't remember how to get here? Follow step 3 from the setup procedure.
- At the top of the configuration page, you'll see a number of tabs. Select 'Settings' here.
- You'll see a menu on the left, click 'Recording' here. A number of possible choices will appear below the option. Select 'Recording location' here.
- A screen will appear on the right with a pair of options. Leave the 'Recording path' to 'None'. To the right of the 'Local Recording Location' option, you'll see a filled-out field. Next to it, you have the option of browsing to a folder. Is the default location alright? Go to the next step. Otherwise, press 'Browse' to select a suitable folder. Press 'OK' to confirm the folder.
- In the top right corner, click 'Save'.
- Next, in the menu on the left, choose 'Local Alarm Record'.
- You'll see a new screen on the right. Check the box for the 'Enable Local Alarm Record' option.
- Under 'Local Alarm Record Time', choose how long the alarm recordings should be.
- Select 'Save' in the top right corner. Recording to your computer is now enabled.
Is your camera detecting motion? You'll now receive recordings on your computer in the folder of your choice. Without detection, however, you won't receive any images. So double check your settings well.
Setting up the motion sensor using the web interface
Viewing images on your computer is easy, it only takes a few steps:
- Open Windows Explorer or the macOS Finder.
- Navigate to the folder you chose as your storage location in the camera's options in step 4.
- Double-click the right clip. The file will be opened in your favorite playback application such as Windows Media Player or QuickTime. You'll recognize the recordings by their time and date.
Option 1: Foscam application on your phone
- Open the Foscam application on your smartphone.
- Select your camera.
- At the bottom of your screen, you'll see a timeline. Tap it.
- Swipe your finger across the timeline to browse the images.
Tip: You can use the photo camera icon to take a photo of the clip.
Option 2: myfoscam.com on your computer
- Open an internet browser on your computer.
- Browse to myfoscam.com.
- Fill in your login credentials on the right and press 'Security Login'.
- On the next screen, select your camera on the right.
- Below your camera's live images, you'll find a timeline. Here, click on any desired point in the past to begin playback.
Recording to an NAS
An NAS can be accessed from anywhere and offers the possibility of selecting hard drives yourself. This ensures you yourself decide how much space you have available for your images. You have the possibility of letting the drives work together, which will preserve your images if one of the drives fails.
Want to record your camera's images to a NAS? Use the NAS's own surveillance (security) application. This is very suitable for recording the images and gives you a central place to connect all your cameras to as well. Read how to install this application and how to make recordings in your NAS's manual. Got a Synology NAS? Follow our roadmap:
How do I connect IP camera images with my Synology NAS?
Is it not working?
We'll gladly help you record images from your Foscam IP camera. If you still can't get recordings in the right place after following these instructions, please contact our customer service.