How do I set up my Huawei MiFi router?
What do you need?
- A mifi router from Huawei
- The included battery
- A SIM card. It is advisable to use a data plan for your mifi router
- A smartphone, tablet, laptop or desktop
- The network name and password of your wireless network, you can find this on the inside of the mifi router.
Step 1: Prepare the mifi router for use
Before you start configuring your Huawei mifi router, you must first make it ready for use.
- Pull the back of the mifi router through the notch on the side of the device.
- (Optional) Take a picture of the Wi-Fi settings, or write them down. You need this when setting up.
- Insert the SIM card into the SIM card slot.
- Now insert the battery into the device, it only fits in one way.
- Attach the back to the device.
- Press the power button on the front of the device. Your mifi router is now ready for use.
Step 2: set up the mifi router
It is now time to set up the router. First connect to the Huawei network. Use a smartphone, tablet, laptop or desktop for this. Search for the network you have just taken from the back of the device and enter the corresponding password.
** Method 1: via the application **
Do you want to use the application for your smartphone? Then download it first:
- Start the HiLink application.
- On the main page of the application you see the text 'Device disconnected'. Give the app about 5 to 15 seconds to find your Huawei router. When the router is found you can see the provider at the top of the image. In the middle you see how much gigabyte of data you have left. To be able to adjust settings, it is important to log in.
- Press the gear icon on the upper right.
- Select the 'Account' option.
- You will be asked for a password. Enter 'admin' in small letters and log in.
- Then adjust the password for security reasons to your own desired password. Press the checkmark in the top right-hand corner to save the setting.
- Is the SIM card locked? The device can not be used. Therefore enter the pin code of the SIM card.
- Click on the gear icon again.
- Click on 'Device'.
- Select 'PIN management'
- Enter the PIN code of your SIM card. It is recommended to check the 'Disable PIN verification' option. Otherwise, you enter the PIN again with each use.
- In the top right-hand corner, click the checkmark to save the setting.
- Do you want to change the name and password of your Wi-Fi network? You do this as follows:
- Select the gear icon in the main screen again.
- Press 'My Wi-Fi' at the top.
- Choose a new network name (SSID) and a password. Fill it in.
- Here too you save the setting via the check mark at the top right.
- The mifi router is now set up. You are now using prepaid data or your data plan on the go to provide your devices with internet.
** Method 2: via the web interface **
- Open the configuration page of the Huawei mifi router in your browser. You do this by entering http://192.168.8.1 or http://192.168.1.1 in your address bar (try them both, or look in the manual which link you need for your model).
- As soon as the configuration page loads, you will see 'Log In' at the top right of the screen. Press it. Enter both 'User name' and 'Password' in small letters 'admin' and press the blue login button. Then create a new password when prompted or set it up via 'My Account' at the top of the page.
- It is wise to first enter the PIN code of the SIM card. Press 'Settings'. Now choose the option 'Security' and then 'PIN Management'. Do not want to re-enter the PIN code every time? Then set 'PIN Management' to 'Disable'. Then enter the PIN code and press 'Apply'.
- Now press 'Quick Setup' on the left side of the menu and then 'Next' to start setting up the mifi router.
- The first step is to adjust your data profile. Is this already filled in? Then you can skip this step. Are the APN settings still empty? Ask your provider for the correct APN settings or look in the manual for the SIM card and fill in these settings. Then press 'Next'.
- In the next screen you can leave 'Connection mode' on 'Auto'. Press 'Next' again.
- You can now change the network name. The network name is the name you see when you search for available Wi-Fi networks. Enter a name and press 'Next'.
- After setting the name you can also change the password. It is advisable to only adjust the 'WPA pre-shared key' here. The other institutions are already well. Press 'Next'
- You now get an overview of the settings. Follow this and press 'Finish'.
- Your mifi router has been set up. You just have to connect to the new network name you just chose.
Is it not working?
We are happy to help you with the installation of your new Huawei mifi router. Does the installation not work with the aid of this step-by-step plan? Please contact our customer service.