How do I set up my Netgear Arlo IP cameras?
What do you need?
- A base station with IP cameras from Netgear
- A (modem) router
- The password of your wireless network
- A network cable
- A free outlet near your router.
- A smartphone, laptop or desktop (connected to the same network as the IP camera)
Step 1: connect the base station
Before you can use the Netgear Arlo ip cameras, you first install the base station. You do this as follows:
- Plug the power cable into the base station and put the plug in the wall socket.
- Plug 1 end of the network cable into the base station.
- Plug the other end into the (modem) router.
- Switch the base station on by pressing the 'On / Off' button on the back of the base station.
- After about 2 minutes the power and internet led lights turn green. The device is now ready for use.
Step 2: pair the ip cameras
The ip cameras are not yet connected to the base station. Before you hang up the IP cameras you first need to synchronize them with each other:
- Provide the ip camera with batteries (Arlo) or a battery (Arlo Pro). These are supplied with the product as standard.
- Open the cover with the button on the top of the ip camera.
- Insert the batteries or accumulator into the device.
- Close the cover.
- Hold the ip camera up to one meter at the base station.
- Press and hold the sync button on the side (Arlo) or on the top (Arlo Pro) of the base station for 2 seconds. The sync light on the front of the base station will blink. Release the button when this happens.
- Wait until the sync light on the front of the device flashes green.
- Now press and hold the sync button on the top of the IP camera for 2 seconds. A blue light flashes at the front of the IP camera. Let go of this when you see this.
- Wait until the LED light on the front of the IP camera blinks blue very quickly. This is the sign of a successful synchronization.
- Repeat steps 1 through 9 for the other ip cameras.
- It is now time to set the base station.
Step 3: set up the IP cameras
Now that the base station has been installed and the IP cameras are connected, it is time to set the IP cameras. First download the application on your iOS or Android device or open a web browser on your computer.
- Start the Arlo application on your phone or go to http://arlo.netgear.com on your computer.
- Select the 'New to Arlo?' Option.
- Choose your product from the given list. Then select the found device. *
- In the new screen you set up the account that you will use.
- Start by setting your email address.
- Then choose a password and fill it in again in the field below.
- Now enter your name.
- In order to possibly restore your account, you now choose a security question with a corresponding answer.
- Press 'Next' at the bottom of the page.
- In the next screen you can choose a service plan for your recordings. Do not want to pay and do you find 7 days of cloud recording sufficient? Then scroll down and press the green button with 'Basic'.
- You will now enter the main screen of the application. The base station and the cameras are set. From here you can view the images and set the cameras further. Think of, for example, motion detection and night vision.
Note: if your system is not found you can solve this by performing a reset. On the back of the device you will find a small hole with the label 'Reset' underneath. There is a button here. Press and hold this button for more than 10 seconds with a paper clip until the LED lights on the front flash red. Then release the button. Then wait until the LED lights turn green again. Synchronize the cameras again and follow the above steps from the beginning.
Step 4: place the cameras
- Do not place the IP cameras more than 90 meters away from the base station. *
- Attach the IP cameras to a wall using the supplied magnetic mounts or place them on a flat surface.
- Insert the ip- cameras not too close. Make sure that there is at least 3 meters between the base station and the IP cameras and make sure that there is also a distance of at least 2 meters between the IP cameras.
Note: the distance of 90 meters applies to a open space. So in a house you will have less range. The Netgear Arlo makes use of wifi.
Is it not working?
We are happy to help you with the installation of your new Netgear ip cameras. Does the installation not work with the aid of this step-by-step plan? Please contact our customer service.