How do I set up the Oculus Rift?
In the box
- The Oculus Rift with Touch controllers
- A VR-ready PC or laptop with Windows 10
- An internet connection
- A ruler
- A mirror
- Preferably a free space of 1.5x2 meters
- About an hour
Note: Always keep the lenses of your Oculus Rift out of direct sunlight. This way you prevent the sun from damaging the screen.
Step 1: preparing your PC
- Go to the Oculus website and download the installation file for the Oculus Rift. Click on Start download and execute the installation file.
- Click past the first steps. At Install Oculus Software, click on Install now to download all required files. Depending on your internet connection this can take some time.
- In the following steps you create an Oculus account or log in with your Facebook account.
- Then choose a profile picture and indicate in the privacy settings what should be visible to your friends within the Oculus environment.
- Finally, add an optional payment method for buying games in the Oculus Store.
Step 2: connecting the Oculus Rift
- Connect the VR headset to your PC or laptop.
- Place the HDMI cable in the HDMI connection of your PC and the USB cable in a USB 3.0 port.
- Connect 1 of the sensors to a USB 3.0 port. You can also connect the other sensor to a USB 2.0 port if you don't have many 3.0 ports.
- Keep clicking in the Oculus setup to verify the connections.
- Take the 2 Touch controllers and insert the included batteries.
- Press a button on the controllers and the installation software will recognize them.
Tip: You're holding the controllers right when the side buttons are on the inside.
Step 3: defining your play area
- Clear a space of at least 1.5x2 and at most 4x4 meters.
- Place the 2 sensors at the front of the area. Turn the sensors inward by a few degrees and draw imaginary lines towards the center of the space. - Make sure the lines intersect in the middle of the free space.
- Click Next in the installation program and go to the center of the space with a controller. Point the controller straight at the front of the free space and hold down the rear button.
- In the next step you aim the controller between the 2 sensors so that they're in the right place according to the picture on your screen.
- Now draw your VR surface by walking along the edges of your free space with the rear button pressed.
Step 4: setting the eye distance
- Take your ruler and stand as close as possible to a mirror.
- Look in the mirror and hold the ruler at eye level against your face.
- Write down the distance between your pupils.
- You've now measured your personal IPD. You enter this when adjusting the VR headset.
Step 5: adjusting it to your head
- Loosen the side and top straps and place the VR headset on your head from back to front. Gently tighten the straps until the Oculus Rift is secured and directly in front of your eyes. Also make sure the headphones cover your ears.
- Click on Next and you'll see a green cross in the VR headset. There's a slide on the bottom right of the Oculus Rift. Move it left or right until the correct IPD appears.
- You're now ready to step into the world of VR.
When you purchase an Oculus Rift, you get a number of free games from Oculus, so that you can start using your Rift right away. These games are linked to your account when creating and logging in with your Oculus account. You can then find them in the 'Library' of the Oculus App. Choose which games you want to install from the library.
Download and run the Oculus Rift Compatibility Check to ensure that your PC is suitable for virtual reality. Still can't do it? We're happy to help you with the installation of your new Oculus Rift. If it doesn't work with the help of the step-by-step plan, you can contact our customer service.