Installing a Brother printer: step-by-step plan and tips
|What are you going to do?||Installing and connecting your Brother printer|
|Which printer is this explanation suitable for?||All Brother printers|
|What do you need?||Your Brother printer, a laptop or desktop, and a printer cable if you want your printer to have a wired connection.|
|How long does it take?||10-15 minutes|
Step 1: Prepare the Brother printer
Follow these instructions to prepare the printer for installation.
- Remove your printer from the packaging and remove all tape and protective material. Also make sure you remove any protective material from the inside of the printer. It's often there to make sure nothing inside the printer breaks during transport. Check the manual to be sure you don't miss any material.
- Insert the plug into the socket to provide the printer with power and then switch on the printer.
- Choose the correct language on the screen.
- Open the lid at the front of your printer. Wait until the cartridge holder appears and place the cartridges. Make sure you click them properly.
- Do you want to connect your printer with a cable? If so, connect a printer cable to the printer and your laptop or desktop PC.
- Turn on the printer.
- Place some paper in the paper tray. You have prepared the printer for its first use. Now, all you have to do is prepare your computer.
Step 2: Install the software
You have now connected your printer. In this step, we'll make sure your computer can control the printer. For this, we install software from Brother.
- Go to your browser: http://support.brother.com/g/b/countrytop.aspx?c=en&lang=en
- Click on downloads.
- Choose the right product category for your printer.
- Select the product series of your printer.
- Select the operating system of your laptop or PC.
- Download the 'Complete package of drivers & software', accept the agreement, and open the installation program.
- Choose the language in which you want to run through the installation software.
- Follow the steps of the installation wizard.
Step 3: Connect via WiFi
There are two ways to connect your printer to WiFi. The easiest way to connect your printer to WiFi is by using Brother software that you have installed on your PC. If that's not possible or if you prefer to set up WiFi from your printer, please follow the following steps.
Method 1: In the Brother software you just installed, select 'WiFi Connection'. Follow the instructions in the following steps. The software automatically makes a connection, after which your printer is connected to your WiFi network. Method 2: The menu is slightly different for each Brother printer, but for most printers, you choose the following terms in the menu:
- On your printer, go to 'Settings', and then 'Network' and 'WLAN':
- Select the WiFi setup wizard by selecting 'Yes'.
- Select the name of your network. This is also called SSID.
- Enter the password of your WiFi network.
- Press the OK button with the arrow.
Your printer is now connected to your network. Afterwards, you can wirelessly use your printer.
Step 4: Connect using a printer cable (optional)
If you prefer to connect your printer with a printer cable instead of using WiFi, choose this option in the installation software. The rest of the installation is the same as in the previous steps., except for the fact you're not connected via WiFi.
Problems during or after installation
You have successfully installed your printer. Are you still running into an issue? Check out our advice pages on how to fix a paper jam or how to get your printer working again if it's no longer printing.