How do you install a Brother inkjet printer with a PC or laptop?
You're going to install the printer until a print runs out. With the following steps, you'll certainly succeed.
- Step 1: install cartridges
- Step 2: download software
- Step 3: install software
- Step 4: choose a connection method
The installation takes approximately 30 minutes. What do you need?
- A Brother printer
- A stack of A4 paper
- A computer or laptop
Note: we used the Brother MFC-J5730DW for this article. The installation process of other Brother printers is almost identical. If you encounter differences during installation, check the manual of your printer.
Prepare the printer
Follow these instructions to prepare the printer for installation.
- Remove your printer from the packaging and remove all tape and protective material. Also make sure you remove any protective material from the inside of the printer. It's often there to make sure nothing inside the printer breaks during transport. Check the manual to be sure you don't miss any material.
- Insert the plug into the socket to provide the printer with power and then switch on the printer.
- Choose the correct language on the screen.
- Place some paper in the paper tray. You take the drawer out completely, remove the lid, and place the paper. Replace the lid and put the paper tray back in the printer.
Step 1: install cartridges
Open the cover on the front of your printer and remove the orange protective material. Remove the packaging from the cartridges and place them carefully. Make sure you click them properly, otherwise the printer will display an error message. The printer will now install itself and make a test print. Press OK if no dotted lines are missing.
Step 2: download software
You have now connected your printer. In this step, we'll make sure your computer can control the printer. For this, we install software from Brother. Go to your browser: http://support.brother.com/g/b/countrytop.aspx?c=en&lang=en
- Click on downloads.
- Choose the right product category for your printer.
- Select the product series of your printer.
- Select the operating system of your laptop or PC.
- Download the 'Complete package of drivers & software' and accept the agreement.
Step 3: install software
- Open the installation program.
- Select the language in which you want to run the installation software.
- Follow the steps of the installation wizard.
Step 4: choose a connection method
4.1: connect to the software
The easiest way is to connect your printer to WiFi using Brother software that you've installed on your PC. In the Brother software you just installed, select WiFi Connection or Wireless connection. Follow the instructions in the following steps. The software sets the connection automatically, after which your printer is connected to your WiFi network.
Step 4.2: connect via your printer
The menu is slightly different per Brother printer, but with most printers you choose the following terms in the menu:
- Go to the WiFi icon on your printer.
- Press Change settings.
- Select the installation wizard.
- Select the name of your network. This is also called SSID.
- Enter the password of your WiFi network.
- Press the OK button with the arrow.
Your printer connects to WiFi and the installation is ready. You can start printing.