How do I set up my Asus router?
Do you have no idea how to install your brand new Asus router? Following the step-by-step plan below will take you less than 10 minutes. After these steps, you'll have your own chosen network name and you'll know how to access the settings page.
What do you need?
- An Asus router
- A modem
- A network cable
- A laptop/desktop or smartphone
- (Optional) Are you installing the router via your smartphone? Then you'll also need the name and password of the router's standard WiFi network of the router. You can find this on a sticker on the bottom or back of the router.
Step 1: connect the router
- Power the router by plugging in the power cord.
- Put the end in the back or top of the router.
- Plug 1 end of the network cable into the WAN port of your router.
- Plug the other end into a LAN port on your modem.
- Turn on the router by pressing the 'Power' button on the back or top of the router if it's not already pressed. You can now set up the router.
Step 2: set up the router
Method 1: via a computer
- Open an internet browser and open the user interface of your Asus router. The computer you're using must be connected to the router's network.
- You will now enter the 'Quick Internet Setup', a tool with which you will have the router working within a few minutes. Start by clicking on 'Next'.
- For security reasons, enter a new password with which you will access the user interface of your router. Then click on 'Next'. Note: this is not the password of your WiFi network.
- The router automatically detects your internet connection. Settings are adjusted accordingly.
- In the next screen, enter the desired network name and a corresponding password. This is the name that you see when you start searching for available WiFi signals with your phone. Press 'Next' when you've entered the required settings.
- The router is now set up. You'll automatically end up on the main page of the router. Select the English language at the top right to make navigation a bit easier.
Method 2: via a smartphone
Before you start, you must first download the Asus application:
- Switch on WiFi on your phone. Search among the available networks for the standard network of your router and log in with the password.
- Start the Asus Router application.
- The application automatically searches for available Asus routers within the network. As soon as the router is found, a '1' will appear in the lower right-hand corner next to the 'I want to set up a new router' option. Press this.
- Select your router on the next screen.
- The application now receives information from the router. This takes up to 10 seconds. Then press 'Start' at the 'Quick Internet Setup'.
- Choose a network name (SSID) and a password for your WiFi network. This is the name that you will see when searching for available wireless networks. Then click on 'Next'.
- You can now set a login name and password for the router. You use this data to set up the router, so it has nothing to do with the WiFi network. After setting the data, select 'Next'.
- The router is now set up and will restart. As soon as the router is started up you have to search the WiFi settings of your phone for the WiFi name you entered. Connect to this.
- Once you're connected, you can use the Asus Router application to further set up the router.