How do I set up my Linksys router?
Are you having problems installing your new Linksys router? Below, you'll find step-by-step instructions for setting up your router.
What do you need?
- A router from Linksys
- The modem of your internet provider
- A working internet connection
- A network cable
- A laptop or desktop computer
Step 1: Connect the router
- Unpack the power cable and network cable from your Linkys router.
- Plug the first end of the network cable into a free LAN port on your modem.
- Plug the other end of the cable into the (yellow) port labeled Internet of your router.
- Plug the power cable into your router and plug the adapter into a free power outlet
- Turn on the router with the on/off button (identified by the O and I) on the back of the router.
Step 2: Install your router
- Make sure your computer is connected to the router. This is possible by plugging a network cable into your laptop or desktop and connecting it to the blue network ports on the router. It's also possible to set up a wireless connection. You'll find the login details at the bottom of your Linksys router.
- Open a web browser and navigate to the installation page of your router.
- Enter the 'Linksys Smart Wi-Fi setup'. Check the box next to 'I have read and accepted the License Terms for using this software' to continue. Then click on 'next' in the bottom right.
- The router will now automatically try to find the correct settings for your connection.
- If you don't use a modem from your provider, but have connected the router directly, you may have to enter a username and password. Check with your internet provider if necessary.
- If your connection does not work after this, the router will give you a number of tips that you can check. This allows you to check whether you have done anything wrong.
- If this is successful, the Linksys router will check if there are updates for the software. You can have this done automatically in the future by checking the box for 'Install future router updates automatically' in this screen.
- Under 'Network Name,' enter the name that you want to give your wireless network. The name of the 5GHz network is automatically created by placing "_5GHz" behind the name. Under 'Network Password,' enter the password for your WiFi network.
- If you set up the router via a wireless network, you will have to connect to the WiFi network you just created after step 6.
- Create a password to access your router. With the help of this password you log in to your router in the future to adjust settings.
- You now get the screen "Your router is set up!" to see. This means that the Linksys router has been installed correctly. The router displays an overview of the settings. Press 'next' to complete the installation.
- The last step is to set up a 'Linksys Smart WiFi Account'. You use this account to manage your router using the smartphone app from Linksys. If you intend to do that, it is advisable to enter this immediately.
Use the app
Do you want to continue configuring the router with your phone after the installation? Then use the Linksys Smart WiFi application.