How do I record IP camera images to my Synology NAS?
What do you need?
- A Synology NAS
- Hard drives to save the images
- A suitable IP camera
- A laptop or desktop
- A (modem) router your NAS, IP camera, and computer are connected to
Step 1: install Surveillance Station
Before adding a camera to your Synology, first install Surveillance Station to your NAS. This application ensures the images from all your cameras are neatly visible in 1 central place. In addition, this application allows you to record the images to your NAS.
- Open the NAS's configuration page in a web browser.
- In the top left corner, press the main menu and open the 'Package Center'. This is Synology's virtual application store.
- A new screen will open. At the top left of this screen, you'll find a search function. Here, search for 'Surveillance Station'.
- The application will appear on the right-hand side of the same screen. Press 'Install'.
- Wait until the installation has been completed. Next, open the main menu.
- You'll now see 'Surveillance Station' listed in the menu. Open the application. It will open in a new tab in your browser.
After opening Surveillance Station, you'll see an empty screen, since no IP camera has been connected t yet.
It's now time to add your camera to Surveillance Station. To do this, follow the steps below:
- In the top left corner, press the main menu within Surveillance Station and select 'IP Camera'.
- A new screen will open. At the top left of this screen, select 'Add', then 'Add Camera'.
- On the new screen, select 'Quick Setup' and press 'Next'.
- On the next screen, enter the camera's data. Do so as follows:
- Name: Enter the desired name for your camera here, for example a location: 'Garden' or 'Living room'.
- IP address: This is your camera's unique address within the network. Don't know this address? Click the magnifying glass next to the fill-in field. A new screen will open, where Surveillance Station will search for any available cameras in your network. Select your camera here and press 'OK'. You'll recognize the camera by its brand and type.*****
- Port: This is set to '80' by default. If 80 doesn't work, consult your camera's manual or configuration page.
- Brand: In this drop-down menu, select the camera's brand.
- Camera Model: Select your camera's model from this list.******
- User Name: Enter your user name for the camera here. You should have created this during the camera setup.
- Password: Here, enter the accompanying password or the camera's user account.
- Press 'Test Connection'. If you filled everything in right, the camera's image should now appear on the right, along with a green tick. This won't take more than a minute.
- Click 'Finish'. The camera has now been added to your Surveillance Station.
From now on, you'll save your camera's images to the NAS and stream them live from your IP camera to any device you desire.
******Tip: Can't find the camera? Open your router's configuration page in a new tab and, on the main page, look through the list of connected devices. If the camera is connected to the network, it should be listed here. The camera's IP address should also be displayed here.
******Tip: Not sure what model you've got? Look on the underside of the camera or on the box to find out the model. After choosing, two new options will appear below the camera model you chose: 'Video Format' and 'Audio Format'. These have already been set correctly, so you won't need to adjust them.
Note: watching live doesn't work on Google Chrome, so use Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, or Safari on your computer. Using Android or iOS? Download the corresponding application:
More than 2 cameras
You can connect up to 2 IP cameras to your Synology NAS. Want to connect more? In that case, you'll need a 'Synology Camera License'.