How do you choose the right charger for your Apple iPad?
Choosing an Apple iPad charger
To choose the right charger, you need to know 2 things:
- Do you have a Lightning connector or USB-C port?
- Which iPad model do you have?
No idea which model you have? Read the article below to find out which model Apple iPad model you have.
USB-C power adapter (18W)
If your Apple iPad has a USB-C port, use an 18-watt power adapter with a USB-C port. It's suitable for the following models:
- iPad Pro 12.9 inches (3rd generation)
- iPad Pro 11 inches
USB-A power adapter (12W)
Does your Apple iPad have a Lightning connector? Use a power adapter with USB-A port of 12 or 10 watts. A 12-watt USB-A power adapter is suitable for the following models:
- iPad Pro 12.9 inches (1st & 2nd generation)
- iPad Pro (10.5 inches)
- iPad Pro (9.7 inches)
- iPad Air (3rd generation)
- iPad mini (5th generation)
- iPad (5th to 7th generation)
USB-A power adapter (10W)
You can use the 12-watt USB-A power adapter for any iPad with a Lightning cable. The 10-watt power adapter is included by default with the following models:
- iPad Air (1st and 2nd generation)
- iPad mini (2nd to 4th generation)
- iPad (2nd generation)
Using a different charger
It's possible to charge your Apple iPad with the charger of your iPhone or MacBook, as long as you have a cable with the correct connector. Keep in mind that your Apple iPad will charge less quickly if you use a charger with too low a wattage. Using a charger with a higher wattage won't hurt.
With a fast charger, you charge your Apple iPad faster than with a regular charger. The following models have the fast charging functionality:
- iPad Pro 12.9 inches (2015 or newer)
- iPad Pro 10.5 inches (2017)
- iPad Pro 11 inches (2018 and 2020)
- iPad Mini (2019)
- iPad Air (2019)
The Apple iPad Pro 2018 and 2020 have a fast charger included by default. You have to purchase it separately for the other models. To use fast charging, you need a USB-C to Lightning cable and a power adapter of at least 18 watts.