How do I set up my Apple iPad?
Setting up the Apple iPad
Setting up your iPad isn’t difficult. Follow these steps to quickly get started with your iPad.
- Set up the Apple iPad automatically or manually
- Set up your Apple ID
- Set up accounts and other useful functions
Step 1a: turn on and configure automatically
- Turn on the Apple iPad by pressing and holding the button on the top right of the device.
- ‘Hello’ appears on the screen. Swipe the screen or press the home button to begin setting up your iPad.
- In the list of languages, choose your language. Next, choose your country.
- Want to configure your iPad automatically? Place another iPad or iPhone next to your new iPad and follow the steps on the screen. Your iPad will copy the settings from your other device.
Do you want to set up your iPad manually? Tap 'Configure manually' at the bottom of the screen.
Step 1b: Set up manually
- Select your WiFi network, enter the password, and select ‘Connect’.
- Set up Touch ID by following the on-screen instructions. Do you have an iPad Pro? You can use this step to set up Face ID.
- Choose a code that you can easily remember to lock your Apple iPad. Repeat the code.
- Decide if you want to transfer data from another device to your iPad. You can do this via iCloud, a Mac computer, or an Android device.
Don't want to transfer apps and data? Select 'Don't transfer apps and data'.
Step 2: Set up my Apple ID
Apple ID is an account that you can use to log in to all Apple services. Apple ID provides access to the Apple Store and FaceTime, among others.
I already have an Apple ID
- Enter your Apple ID and tap ‘Next’.
- Also enter your password and tap ‘Next’.
- ‘Two-factor authentication’ appears on the screen. You’ll receive a text message on your phone. Enter this code on your Apple iPad.
- Read the Terms and Conditions and tap ‘Agree’.
The iPad is now setting up your Apple ID. This can take a few seconds.
I don’t have an Apple ID yet
- Tap ‘Don't have an Apple ID or forgot it?’ and select ‘Create a free Apple ID’.
- Fill in all your information, including date of birth, name, and security question. At the top right, tap ‘Continue’.
- Fill in your email address and choose whether or not you want to receive news from Apple.
- In the next screen, set the password for your account.
- Enter a phone number that can be used to verify your identity. You’ll receive a text message with a code on your phone. Enter this code on your Apple iPad.
- Scroll through the Terms and Conditions and click ‘Agree’ at the bottom right.
Your iPad will now create your Apple ID. This can take a few minutes.
Step 3: additional settings
- Choose if you want to install updates automatically or manually.
- Do you have a 4G iPad? You can turn on ‘Location Services’ or turn this feature off. By turning on Location Services, you allow various apps to use your location. If you don’t have a 4G iPad, you won’t see this screen.
- Want to pay using your iPad? Select ‘Continue’ and enter your Apple Pay details. Not interested? Select ‘Configure later in settings’.
- The iCloud keychain remembers your information and passwords, so you don’t have to enter these manually. Choose ‘Continue’ to turn on this feature. You can also skip this step.
- You can set up voice assistant Siri in 5 steps. It's also possible to do this later.
- On the next screen, you can choose if you want to receive a weekly report on your screen time. This will give you insight into the use of various apps.
- Indicate whether or not you want to help Apple improve their products.
- On this screen, you can choose if you want to use your Apple iPad in light or dark mode. Tap the next 2 examples to see which you like best. Choose ‘Continue’.
- View tips about using your iPad (select ‘Continue’ when you're done reading each of them).
- Tap ‘Get started’. The iPad takes you to its home screen and the setup is complete.