How do I connect my Windows laptop to my TV?
Before you start
You need the right video cable to connect your laptop to your television. Check both the ports of your laptop and your television, and look for a shared input. Preferably, you want to use an HDMI port. If you don't have an HDMI port, use VGA or DVI instead. Keep in mind that, in this case, sound won't be transmitted to your television. Instead, the audio will play over your laptop speakers. If your laptop and television don't have any shared inputs at all, use a converter.
Step 1: connect your laptop to your television
Turn off your laptop and television, and use the video cable to connect your laptop to your television. Use a cable that has enough length in order to place your laptop somewhere safe. Once both devices are connect, turn on your laptop and television. Wait until they're done booting.
Step 2: select the right input on your television
Use your television's remote control to select the right port. The button you need to do this is usually called Source or Input. Press the button and select the right input via the menu. Some television won't show you a menu when you press the Source button. In this case, repeatedly press the Source button until the right input is displayed on your screen.
Step 3: set up your laptop's port
- On your laptop, go to your desktop and click the right mouse button.
- Click on Display Settings
- A screen will pop up, showing 2 squares next to each other. These squares are numbered 1 and 2, and represent your laptop and television. If you only see 1 square, click Detect.
- Go to the Multiple displays option and select Duplicate these displays from the drop-down menu.
Step 4: set up the resolution
Go to the Resolution menu and select your television's resolution from the drop-down list. Use one of the following resolutions:
- If you own an HD Ready television, select 1280 x 720.
- If you own a Full HD television, select 1920 x 1080.
- If you own a 4K television, select 3840 x 2160.
The screen of your laptop will now be displayed on your television. In order to watch a movie or series, simply play it on your laptop like your normally would.