How do I connect my Windows laptop to my TV?
Before you start
You need the right video cable to connect your laptop to your television. Check the connectors of your laptop and television and try to find a connector type they both have. If you have one, an HDMI connector is best. What if your laptop doesn't have an HDMI connector? Use VGA or DVI. Keep in mind that these options can't transfer any audio, so you can only hear sound from your laptop. If your laptop and television don't have any connectors in common, use a converter.
Step 1: connect your laptop to your television
Switch off your laptop and television and use the video cable to connect your laptop to your television. Choose a cable that is long enough to put your laptop someplace safe. Once both devices are connected, switch on your laptop and television. Wait until they're on completely.
Step 2: choose the right input on your television
You can use the remote of your television to choose the right input. The button you need is usually called Source or Input. Press this button and select the right input in the menu. Some televisions don't show a menu when you press the Source button. In that case, press the button as often as you need in order to have the right input appear on the screen.
Step 3: configure your laptop's port
- On your laptop, go to the desktop and right-click any empty area.
- Click on Display Settings.
- In the next window, you can see 2 blocks side by side. These blocks are numbered (1 and 2) and refer to your laptop and television. Only see 1 block? Click on Detect.
- Click the option Multiple displays and use the drop-down menu to select Duplicate these displays.
Step 4: set the resolution
Under Resolution, use the drop-down menu and select the resolution of your television. Choose from the following:
- Do you have an HD Ready television? Choose 1280x720.
- Do you have a Full HD television? Choose 1920x1080.
- Do you have a 4K television? Choose 3840x2160.
The screen of your laptop of computer is now displayed on your television. To watch a movie or series, simply play it like you normally would on your laptop.