Cooking with a steam oven
Why cook with a steam oven?
When you cook vegetables or potatoes in water, a lot of flavor and vitamins is lost. This is because they come into contact with water. Since a steam oven uses water vapor, the water doesn't touch your food. This makes your vegetables richer in vitamins and in taste. On top of that, they keep their color and shape, which makes your food look a lot tastier in comparison to when you cook it in a pan. You can also easily steam rice, pasta, fruit, and shellfish until they're cooked. And your pies, pizzas, and casseroles get a lovely crisp layer.
- Your food is less greasy and much healthier because you don't use oils or butter.
- Your food doesn't lose any of its flavor or vitamins.
- The color and shape of your food remains intact.
- An oven with steaming function is more expensive than an oven without steaming function.
- After each use, you have to remove the residual water, or else you'll shorten its lifespan.
Partial vs full
If you like baking (and do it often), a steam oven with partial steam is suitable for you. An oven with this steaming function only adds steam at the beginning of the baking process. The oven uses hot air for the remainder of the process and allows you to bake the way you're used to. So, what is the big advantage of this? By steaming your baked goods in the beginning, they get a lovely crispy crust on the outside, but remain nice and soft on the inside. Think of baguettes, but also pies, pizzas, or a lovely lasagna.
- For the baking enthusiast
- Extra crispy crust
If you want too cook entire dishes in the steam oven, opt for an oven with full steam. This type uses steam during the entire cooking process and is very suitable to prepare fish, vegetables, and other food. You can also put your pasta and rice and even fruit and shellfish in the oven. This way, you can prepare an entire dish without any problems. When you have an oven with full steam, you don't really need a cooktop or stove anymore You can 'cook' your food in the oven. Everything that you would normally cook in a pan, you can now put in the oven.
- You no longer need a stove or cooktop
- You can cook an entire dish