How do I set up my Apple iPhone?
Step 1: Turn on Apple iPhone
- I turn on Apple iPhone by pressing the button on the right side of iPhone until the Apple logo appears.
- The word 'Hello' comes in many different languages.
- In the next screen I choose the language and my country. In this case Dutch and Netherlands.
Step 2: use 'Start immediately' or set manually
- If I have an old iPhone with iOS 11 or higher, I will keep it next to my new iPhone to set it up quickly. I then follow the steps.
- I don't have this, so I click on Configure manually.
Step 3: activate the iPhone
- I activate my iPhone by connecting to WiFi, a mobile network or iTunes.
- Since I am at home, I choose my own WiFi network.
- To activate my iPhone via a mobile network, I first have to insert my SIM card into the device.
Step 4: set security
I unlock IPhone X, Xs and Xr via Face ID, or face recognition. I unlock an older iPhone like iPhone 7 or 8 with Touch ID or the fingerprint scanner.
- In this screen I tap Continue and follow the instructions. This is how I set up Touch ID or Face ID.
- Then I set a 6-digit access code.
- Do I want a 4-digit code or no code at all? Then I click on Access code options. I do not recommend setting a code.
Step 5: apps and data
- In the next screen I get the choice to transfer old data. This can be done from an iCloud backup or iTunes backup or an old Android phone. * I don't have this and so tap Configure as new iPhone.
Step 6: log in with Apple ID
- I enter my Apple ID and tap Next.
- If I do not want this or want to create an Apple ID, I click on Forgot password or no Apple ID and follow the steps.
Step 7: Set up Siri
- Now I set up Siri. I tap Continue and say a few sentences to Siri so that my voice is recognized.
- I have logged in with Apple ID and I am now also setting my iCloud keychain.
Step 8: set the screen time
In this screen I turn the Screen time option on or off.
To enable Screen Time, tap Continue and follow the steps.
Do I not want to enable this? Then I choose Configure later in settings.
Step 9: enable automatic updates
Almost finished! The final screens ask if I want to share information with app developers, automatically update iOS and enable True Tone.
- I follow the steps and keep clicking on Continue. My new iPhone is now ready for use!