Descaling the DeLonghi Magnifica
How do I descale my Delonghi Magnifica?
Follow the instructions below carefully to descale your machine. DeLonghi recommends using only their own brand of descaling agent. This way, you can be sure that you won't damage your machine. When you use descaling agents based on sulphamine or acetic acid, the warranty at DeLonghi expires.
Fill the water tank with descaling agent
- Step 1: Switch on the coffee machine by pressing the on button.
- Step 2: Empty the water tank and remove the filter from the water tank (if present).
- Step 3: Pour 100 milliliters of descaling agent into the water tank up to level A. This is indicated with an 'A' on the water tank. Put the water tank back in the machine. Next, fill this with tap water up to level B.
- Step 4: Place a container with a minimum capacity of 1.5 liters under the steam pipe. As soon as you switch on descaling, hot water will run out of the steam pipe.
Switch on the descaling program
- Step 5: Press the descaling button for 5 seconds until the descaling light stops flashing. This button is indicated by a round arrow with little drops. The light is now on without blinking. This means that the coffee machine is in descaling mode.
- Step 6: Fully open the steam knob. Do this by turning the knob to the 'I' in one easy movement. Hot water is now flowing out of the machine. The coffee machine automatically stops when the water tank is completely empty. This takes about 30 minutes, including short intervals.
Continue the process after 30 minutes
- Step 7: After 30 minutes of descaling, the water tank is empty. The light with the water jug is now on. You don't have to do anything with this.
- Step 8: Close the steam knob completely. Do this by turning the knob to the 'O' in one smooth movement.
- Step 9: Empty the container that was used to collect the descaling solution and place the empty container under the steam pipe again.
- Step 10: Remove the empty water tank and rinse with tap water.
Switch on the rinsing program
- Step 11: Fill the tank with tap water, but this time up to the mark 'MAX' and put it back into the machine.
- Step 12: Fully open the steam knob again. You do this by turning the knob to the 'I' in one easy movement. The water will flow again, this time without interruption. The coffee machine automatically stops when the water tank is empty.
- Step 13: After this you close the steam knob completely again. You do this by turning the knob to the 'I' in one smooth movement.
When to descale?
As soon as the lime lamp starts flashing, it's time to descale the machine. How often the lime lamp flashes depends on how often you use the machine. On average, this will be about once every 3 months. We advise you to always use a water filter in addition to descaling. This prevents a large amount of scale formation in the pipes of your DeLonghi espresso machine. This keeps your machine in good condition and extends its lifespan.
The lime lamp stays on after descaling
Have you carried out all descaling steps, but does the lime lamp still burn? Read how to fix this here.