How do you connect a projector to your Apple MacBook?
Connect a projector to your MacBook step by step
You're ready to give your presentation in 3 quick steps:
- Determine what you need.
- Connect the projector to your MacBook.
- Choose the right settings.
Step 1: determine what you need
In many cases, you need a cable converter to connect a projector to your Apple MacBook. This is because you connect most projectors via an HDMI or VGA connector. Newer Apple MacBook models (2015 or later) only have Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) ports. So check which connectors you have. Do you only have USB-C ports? In that case, use a cable converter.
Step 2: connect the projector to your MacBook
Now, it's time to connect the projector to your Apple MacBook:
- Connect the power cable of the projector to a socket.
- Press the on/off button of the projector to turn it on.
- Connect the projector to your Apple MacBook via the HDMI or VGA cable with the converter.
Step 3: choose the right settings
Do you get the desired image right away? You can get started with your presentation. No signal? Follow these steps:
- Click the little apple icon at the top left corner of your screen.
- Click System Preferences and then Displays.
- Hold down the Option key and then click Detect Displays at the bottom right of the screen.
Afterwards, decide if you want to Mirror or Expand the screen. Turn Mirror Displays on or off for this.