Perform a clean installation of Windows 10
When your laptop does not start up anymore and you've tried everything to fix it, there's often only one thing left to do: running a clean installation of Windows 10. This removes all personal files, apps, and drivers. However, it could mean that you have a working laptop again after performing the clean installation. I explain below how it works.
Use a working laptop
- Go to the Microsoft website on a working laptop to download software.
- Download the media creation tool from Windows 10 and then run it.
- Select Create installation media for another PC.
- Choose a language, version and architecture (64 bits or 32 bits).
- Follow the steps to create the installation media, and then select Finish.
Back to your own laptop
- Connect the installation media you created to the non-working PC and switch it on.
- On the initial installation screen, enter your language and other preferences and select Next. If you do not see the installation screen, your PC may not be configured to boot from a drive. Refer to the PC manufacturer's website for more information on changing the boot order of your PC and try again.
- Select Install now.
- On the Enter a Product Key page, enter Windows with a product key if you have one. If you have a free upgrade to Windows 10, or have purchased and activated Windows 10 in the Microsoft Store, choose Skip and Windows will be automatically activated later.
- On the License Terms page, select I accept the license terms and then select Next
- Select Custom on the page What type of installation do you want to perform?
- On the Where do you want to install Windows page, select Where? A partition, if necessary, select the formatting option that you want to execute and follow the instructions.
- When you're done, click Next
- Follow the remaining steps and then the installation is complete