Advice on paper shredders
Why a paper shredder?
The use of a paper shredder is recommended:
- to prevent identity fraud
- if there is an obligation to destroy company information or personal data
** How secure do you want to destroy documents? ** The safety norm for paper shredders is divided into 6 classes, ranging from regular shredding (strips) to irrecoverable shredding (micro shreds). Below, you can find out which shredding norm fits your situation.
DIN P-2: easy shredding for home use
- Documents will be made hard to read
- Strips are < 6mm
- Roughly 38 strips per A4 sheet
DIN P-3: for shredding personal data
- Documents will be shredded and will then be difficult to restore
- Shreds are 4x50mm
- Roughly 320 shreds per A4 sheet
DIN P-4: used by lawyers and notaries
- Documents are irreparably shredded
- Shreds are 4 x 38mm
- Up to approximately 1,000 shreds per A4
DIN P-5: used by government and defense
- Documents are irreparably shredded
- Shreds are 2 x 15mm
- Up to approximately 2,000 shreds per A4
General Personal Data Regulation (GDPR)
Since May 25, 2018, a new law applies for handling personal data. The careful destruction of data on paper is part of the GDPR.
How many people will use a paper shredder?
It's important to know how many people will use the paper shredder, because the capacity of the machines differs considerably. This is because processing a shredding job can take some time. Pay attention to the following points:
- The number of sheets that can be entered at once.
- The capacity of the container.
- The function for automatic feeding during shredding.
- The time that a machine can shred non-stop and how long the cooling down period lasts.
How often do you use a paper shredder?
You might have to shred a small stack every month or stacks of documents daily. How intensively you use a paper shredder is an important criterion for the type of machine you choose. Some machines have an automatic paper input, which makes the process smoother and it allows you to continue with other work.
Go for entry-level models that fit under or next to your desk.
- Input capacity 5 to 20 sheets at a time
- sump tray up to 20 liters
A mid-range shredder for a small office or office department.
- Input capacity from 20 to 150 sheets at a time
- Container from 20 to 60 liters
- Automatic document feeder function optional
Choose from paper shredders for a larger office.
- Input capacity from 100 to 500 sheets at a time
- Container from 60 to 100 liters
- Automatic document feeder function is recommended
Where is the paper shredder located?
A paper shredder is a real workhorse. The blades are driven by a motor and as a result, they can make quite some noise. Fortunately, the casing of most devices is increasingly built with that in mind. Are you looking for a machine that will disturbs others as little as possible? Look for a machine that produces less than 60dB of noise. This is roughly equivalent to a running dishwasher or washing machine.
The name 'paper shredder' doesn't really cover it. In addition to paper, a considerable number of machines also destroy staples and paper clips. Very useful, because it saves a lot of time when you don't have to remove them in advance. Some machines can also safely destroy CDs and credit cards, and a some paper shredders can even handle USB sticks. When looking for a paper shredder, you can select what you want to shred in the product filter:
- paper clips
- credit cards
- USB sticks
What do you need with a paper shredder?
Never want to be bothered by shreds lying around anymore?
Emptying the container of your paper shredder will be a piece of cake when you're using a suitable container bag, because all paper shreds will be neatly collected in the container bag. You'll be able to simply remove it and throw it in the regular paper trash.
Do you want to enjoy your paper shredder for a long time?
Special lubricating oil is available for paper shredder blades. A drop of oil every now and then ensure your paper shredder will keep working like a charm. Want to make things even easier for yourself? Use oil sheets. Just run a sheet through the shredder, and your blades will be lubricated again.
Got any questions, or would you like more advice on paper shredders? Our customer service is at your disposal 7 days a week.