How do I set up my Netgear router?
Not entirely sure how to set up your new Netgear router? Below, you'll find step-by-step instructions for getting your router set up.
What do you need?
- A Netgear router
- A modem
- A network cable
- A laptop or desktop
Step 1: connect the router
- Grab the router's power cable and network cable.
- Plug 1 end of the network cable into the router's WAN port.
- Plug the other end into one of the LAN ports on the modem.
- Plug the power cable connector into the back of the router.
- Plug the other end into a socket. The router has now been connected.
- Turn the router on by pressing the 'power On/Off' on the back of the router. We'll now set up the device.
Step 2: set up the router
- Open your Netgear router's configuration page in an internet browser, if this doesn't automatically happen on browser startup. Note: this link will only work if you're connected to your router's network.
- The router will immediately detect the network connection. This process will only take a minute at most. After this, a new page will open.
- On this next screen, select the 'Yes' option. This means you're allowing the Netgear Genie to set up the internet for you. Click 'Next'.
- After about 10 seconds, you'll get a setup confirmation.
- However, your router's network name hasn't been set yet. To do this, open the router's user interface again. Log in using 'admin' as your user name and 'password' as your password. These are the router's login credentials, not the network's.
- On the new screen, you'll see your Netgear router's main menu. First, change the router's password.
- At the top, click the 'Advanced' tab.
- On the left, select 'Maintenance' from the menu and select 'Set password' from the options that will appear below your choice.
- At the top of the page, enter the old password 'password'. Below the old password, enter your desired new password. Repeat this in the field below.
- Press 'Apply' to make the new password active. You may have to login again.
- Now it's time to adjust your network's name and password.
- At the top of the page, click the 'Basic Settings' tab.
- On the left, select the 'Wireless' option from the menu. You will now see your network settings on the right.
- (Optionally) turn on 'Smart Connect' to have your devices switch between the fast 5GHz band and the strong 2.4GHz band automatically.
- In the 'Name (SSID)' field, enter a name for your network. This is the name that will be shown when you're searching for available WiFi networks.
- You're required to fill in a password in the 'Password (network key)' field. This password should contain more than 8 characters, but less than 63.
- Click 'Apply' to use the new network name. Note: You'll need to reconnect any previously connected devices to the network.
- You're done now. Setup and configuration are finished.
Want to use your phone to further set up your router after initial setup? Use the Netgear Genie application.