How do you set up a Ubiquiti access point?
Connect your Ubiquti access point
- Connect the access point
- Use Power over Ethernet
- Install the software
- Configure the access point
Step 1a: connect the access point
- Take the power cable and network cable for the access point.
- Plug 1 end of the network cable into the access point.
- Plug the other end into the (modem) router.
- Plug power cable into a free socket.
- Plug the other end of the power cable into the access point. The access point is now connected. Now, it's time to install the software you'll use to set up the access point.
Step 1b: Connect with Power over Ethernet
Ubiquiti access points also all work via Power over Ethernet. Here the power flows over the network cable and you do not need a separate power supply or a free power socket near your access point.
- Plug the network cable into a switch or router with a suitable variant of Power over Ethernet (PoE). ** Note **: Ubiquiti access points support different variants of PoE: 802.1af, 802.1at and 24V passive. Use a switch that is compatible with the standard that supports your access point.
- Plug the network cable into your access point.
- The access point is now provided with power and network. Continue this manual.
Step 2: install the software
- Open the download page of Ubiquiti in an internet browser. Make use of a computer that is connected to the same network as the network to which you connect the access point.
- Select the most recent version of the 'Controller' under the heading 'Software'.
- Press 'Download' at the top right.
- Start the software when it has finished downloading. An installation wizard opens.
- Choose a location for the software and start the installation. Do you not have the application 'Java' on your computer? The wizard indicates this and installs Java if necessary. Java is required for the use of the Ubiquiti software. Do you have a 64bit computer? Then also manually install the 64bit version of Java.
- After the installation, a pop-up will appear indicating that the controller software is running in the background. In this pop-up you will also find a link to the configuration page. Press to set the access point.
Step 3: set up the access point
- The access point's configuration page will open in your browser. Don't have a business network? Your browser will tell you you don't have a private connection. The setup is not done over the Internet, so you can ignore that notification. Click 'advanced' and then 'continue to local host'.
- Complete the basic settings by following a number of steps. Start by selecting your location and time and click 'Next'.
- You'll now see the available Ubiquiti devices in your network. Select the devices you want to set up and click 'Next'.
- In the next screen, you choose a name ('SSID') and password ('Security Key') for your network. Enter it and click 'Next'.
- Now choose an account name and password for the admin account. Enter it and click 'Next'.
- On the next page, you'll find an overview of the settings. Check them and click 'Finish' if they check out.
- In the next screen, you log in using the account you just created. Enter the details and click 'Log in'.
- You're now on the user page of your Ubiquiti devices. Your access point is now fully operational. You can adjust the settings via the controller software. Tip: create a bookmark for the configuration page to be able to quickly change your settings.
Is it not working?
We'll gladly help you set up your Ubiquiti access point. Can't get the setup of your access point to work? Please contact our customer service.