How do I check which type of USB-C port my laptop has?
What does the USB-C port look like?
The USB-C port is an oval port. It's also smaller than a USB-A port. Aside from that, the USB-C connector is symmetrical. That means you can put a USB-C plug in a USB-C port 2 ways.
- Smaller than USB-A
What type of USB-C port does my Windows laptop have?
Next to the ports on a Windows laptop, you'll find symbols/logo that show you what you can do with a particular port.
- Is there a symbol of a lightning bolt (Thunderbolt 3) next to the USB-C port? Then you can use this port to charge and to transfer a video signal. That means you can connect a monitor. This port supports DisplayPort alt mode.
- Is there a symbol of a D (DisplayPort) next to the USB-C port? Then you can use this port to transfer a video signal. That means you can connect a monitor. This port supports DisplayPort alt model.
- Is there a symbol of a battery next to the USB-C port? Then you can use this port to charge your laptop. This port doesn't support DisplayPort alt mode.
What type of USB-C port does my MacBook have?
MacBook models don't have a logo or symbol next do the port. Follow the steps down below on a MacBook:
- Boot the MacBook.
- Go to the Apple logo in the top left corner of the desktop and click it.
- Click 'About this Mac'.
- Check which model/introduction year you have.
- Use the scheme down below to check what the type of USB-C port on your MacBook model can do.
|Model MacBook||Charge||Video signal/Supports DisplayPort alt mode|
|MacBook Pro 2016 - 2019||Yes||Yes|
|MacBook Pro 2015||No||No|
|MacBook Air 2018 - 2019||Yes||Yes|
|MacBook Air 2015 - 2017||No||No|
|MacBook 12 inches 2015 - 2017||Yes||Yes|